Friday 27 January 2012

Tuesday's the day

Finally we are tying up all the loose ends and starting to pack the van. The keys to the house have been handed over to the tenents and we wait our final days at Mum's place.

Nobody told me there would be five thousand things to organise and ten thousand things to think about while leaving our known universe for 12 months.

The shoes really hurt. I've narrowed it down to 10 pairs, and everyone shakes their head at that. They just don't understand the nature of the shoe fetish, that's obvious.

I am just beginning to feel the excitment build. I can almost see the bitumen and the broken white line and feel the breeze blowing in my hair as we blow off our lives in suburbia and begin the adventure.

Now I just need to get a handle on this blog...I'll be back...

1 comment:

  1. I am proud to be the first to comment on your blog. I have very fond memories of Robe. Karin and I camped there back in the late 1980s when we were on our way to Adelaide. I think my fondest memory is of cooking French toast for breakfast on a camp stove outside our small dome tent.
    My son, Piers, and his fiance Micheel leave in just 4 weeks. They have a Jayco Swan off road camper van, one of those wind-up ones. They are housing it at our place until they leave. They took it out for its first run this weekend - they went off to Cowes to test out their skills at setting up the van.
    Are you going to visit the Coorong? Kangaroo Island. KI is a must-see if you haven't been there. When we travelled Australia in 1980 - my first wife and 3 boys - we camped for a couple of nights in the Coorong, and I read STORM BOY to the kids - a novel by South Australian Colin Thiele that was set in the Coorong.
    School started for me last week, and so far it has been pretty good.
    Thank you so much for the invitation to your blog. It will be a fantastic log of your trip. Are you going to include photos? Adding photos with blogspot is pretty easy.
    My recollection is that, in the end, the REAL adventure is the inner adventure. But the views on the way are also spectacular. The fishing at Robe is pretty good - out on the sea wall.
    I look forward to your next posting.
    Warm regards
    Barry

    ReplyDelete