Sunday 12 February 2012

Aside

More to Michael's entry on the idea of 'aside'. I feel that Mike and I have taken ourselves off the road most travelled and given ourselves permission to come aside for a while. To leave the known track of our lives and take ourselves out into the expanse of adventure, of experiences new and ready to be lived. Aside for me will be different than for Mike. We experience our interior lives individually while sharing the companionship of our outer life. The simple daily rituals of camp life are calming and agreeable to both our dispositions. There can be a very simple rhythm to life on the road.

For me, aside is to take time to see things that I forget to look at when I'm busy and at home.  While on the long beach here at Robe, we walked and walked and then lay down and looked up; something I did often as a child, looking up there for some sense of my own size. Somehow I feel it is in the expanse, while feeling so finite, that I feel closest to my own strength.

So, lots more aside for us...tomorrow we leave Robe for the Coorong, where we will leap frog to free camping spots along the national park. Looking forward to the bird life...







2 comments:

  1. Hi Alana and Mike
    I really think this is unfair. Here am I, at school, teaching full time - while you, you lucky ducks. That stuff you wrote about inner and outer lives reminds me of my time travelling around, when I was very aware of that inner/outer stuf.
    Enjoy the Coorong - Pelica Point and all. When you move on, make sure you take the punt at Wellington, and don't bypass it by sticking on the main highway. It's a plaesant few minutes punting across the river, and Wellington is a cool little place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no dramas Baz, got given the gospel about Wellington yesterday, we are now sitting by lake Albert waiting for one of those spectacular sunsets. cheers Mike n Alana

      Delete