Sunday 6 May 2012

Sea Urchins and Cowrie Shells

For a long time I have loved them. Not from a distance, but in my hand to touch and for my eye to marvel at. It borders obsession, but I like to think of my tenderness toward these natural wonders as a joyous connection. They connect me to the miracle of nature's design. Their shape, markings and texture simply arouse a childlike glee inside me.




These vacated homes of deceased sea creatures are lovingly preserved in my ever growing collection. I've never really spoken of my 'habit' to many people. Not that I'm embarrassed to have such capacity for childlike joy, it just never comes up in conversation. But if you come walk with me on Point Leo beach (Westernport Bay, Vic.) at low tide, you will find I lose interest in your company instantly and head off on my own to seek out the objects of my desire. I don't mean to be rude, I just can't not put my head down and scour the shoreline. I've tied to not look, but it just doesn't work.

It is not just urchins and cowries that find their way into my collection, I love all shells and sponges and other unusual things that the deep is done with, but urchins and cowries are my favourite.

You can imagine my happy state when I found pink, orange and red urchins on the beach at Robe in SA. Point Leo offers me grey, darkgreen, off white and the odd purple, but never red, orange or pink. And my beloved cowries where there too.


I have spent many a meditative walk along the tide line on many of the beaches of SA and now WA. I am lucky to have the great opportunity of experiencing many moments of joy, searching the beaches of the whole country. So I guess there will be lots of posting boxes of my treasures home to Mum's place. Leaving them on the beach is not an option.






"It is the child that sees the primordial secret in Nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child within us is simple and daring enough to live the Secret..." LAO-TZU

No comments:

Post a Comment