Monday 28 May 2012

To Melbourne and back.

I was on the Peninsula airport bus making my way to Tulla to catch my flight 'home' to Michael and the van waiting for me in Perth. Mum had dropped me off early at the bus stop and after making our loving, but hasty goodbyes standing in the rain, Mum left me alone. Being buffeted by the wind with sprays of horizontal falling rain reminded me of the joys of Melbourne's weather. I pulled my rain coat around me and stamped my feet to warm them while I waited for the bus.

Driving along Nepean Hwy Gold 104.3 informed me it was 9 degrees. As we approached Elwood we wound our way along tree lined streets, whose trees were stranded somewhere between a waning Autumn and an approaching Winter. As we made our way into St Kilda the rain became heavier and heavier, drenching the streets and those crazy enough to be on them.

I smiled inwardly knowing that in a few hours I would be watching the sun go down over the Indian ocean after a sunny Perth day of 21.

We drove along the Esplanade and stopped at the lights as we turned into Fitzroy Street. I glanced across at the St Kilda Pier deserted and standing alone in the rain. I looked down at the water gushing into the gutters and as I raised my head I locked eyes with a man all bundled up in his rain coat, holding a take-away coffee and he flashed me a knowing smile - seeing the airport bus sign displayed along the bus - knowing I was leaving a wet and soggy Melbourne and he remaining behind. Perhaps he was thinking that anywhere has gotta be better than this. I returned his smile and felt so warm inside. His smile stayed with me for ages and I thought that it doesn't matter where you are, if you can smile at a stranger and make their day, then life is pretty bloody good.

Mum and I had a great catch up together and made good use of our time. We did: coffee, op-shopping, lunch, a visit to historical Beleura House and lots of keeping warm in front of our favourite shows on TV - not to mention all that great home cooking - gotta love that lamb shank soup of Mum's.

Mum and I.


Mum, June and I at June's place after her birthday lunch.


Beleura House Mornington.


My lemon tree that Mum is sitting for me.
Some of my growing shell collection.

Our current front yard - Burns Beach sunset.
Out and about with cousin Di at Hilarys.
 



1 comment:

  1. Hi. My name is Sandie and I'm an American romance novelist. If you have the time and are inclined to share some information with me about your amazing country and a few other things, I'd love the chance to exchange email with you so I can ask a few questions. You can reach me at fingers2words@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete